Disclaimer: we aren't professionals

Thanks for reading our silly little blog! As the disclaimer says, we aren't professionals in either blogging or house stuff, but we try. This is mostly to let our friends and family know what we've destroyed so far in the house. We post irregularly and usually forget to take pictures, so thanks for your patience, and please feel free to comment with your thoughts and suggestions!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

April gardening update - spring in Atlanta

I say spring, but it was actually not very springlike this year. It has pretty much rained. And rained. And rained. So we haven't had a whole lot of sunny days. However, I'll show you how our garden looked on April 27th. The next post will be from June, and then photos I took today. Time to play blog catch-up!

I have decided I like it best when bloggers put captions above their photos, so that's what I'm going to do from now on. Just FYI. Heads up. Ok.

These are my highly technical seed-sprouting pots. I tried to start beans in here, but it was kind of only half-successful. The peat pots were a complete bust, and I think they might be better for starting seeds inside than outside. That's ok, they're cheap, and this whole gardening thing is a big experiment for us anyway.

We bought strawberry plants! And they made little strawberries! Just a few, though; I think I will try replanting these guys in gutters, as seen on Pinterest. Beeteedubs, follow me; it's the best way to peer into my mind and see what DIY gears are turning. Here's my gardening board.

Ok, moving on: our next experiment is using these fabric grow bags to grow potatoes and sweet potatoes. I am pretty sure they were these, although the cardboard tags on ours were a bit different.
10 Gallon Hydroponic Prune Pots Fabric Grow Pots (5 Bags)
Here they are in action. The purple seed potatoes were planted, we mulched with straw, and we'll just wait for them to grow. I expect to be able to move them easily with the handles. We shall see! 

The potato sacks are at the end of the squash row and the tomato row. Those beds are 2' x 12' long. Just to the squash bed's left are the collards and broccoli. Spoiler alert! Collards were great but the broccoli wasn't worth it. We got a few tiny heads and then they bolted. Better just to buy that at the grocery store. The collards were super easy and tasty in my pressure cooker, though.

Here we have some baby peas working their way up the trellis. We plant snap peas and snow peas. Another spoiler alert! The crunchy snap peas bombed, but we ate snow peas in stir fries for weeks.

This is a bed of onions, garlic, and shallots that I planted last fall. Another spoiler alert: the onions started to set flower stalks, so I had to pick all of them. They were little, most only an inch and a half in diameter. I chopped them up and made olive oil and onion pucks. Put your chopped onion in a muffin tin, fill each cavity with olive oil, and freeze. Pop out of the tin, put in a freezer baggie, and throw one in a pan any time you need to start a dish with onions and oil. Boom, done.

Here are more peas working their way up our diagonal trellis.

Our first planting of beets, swiss chard, and carrots got eaten by evil little bugs. This time, even though it's late to plant, we are covering the rows with white permeable fabric to keep the bugs off. It's held down in the corners with rocks.

Last but not least, a tribute to Waffles the chicken. She was eaten by a fox or coyote, we're still not sure which. We never found her body in the jungle that is our neighbor's backyard. We know she was dragged out of the coop and over the fence, but then the trail went cold. She's on the left there next to Mimosa. Julep is just visible on the far right. More on the chickens later. 
 

Anyway, that's a wrap for April gardening. I have some pictures from mid-June, and from almost a month to the day later. But, it's time to try to beat the Atlanta traffic and head home. Bah! Someday I won't have to commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment