Disclaimer: we aren't professionals

Thanks for reading our silly little blog! As the disclaimer says, we aren't professionals in either blogging or house stuff, but we try. This is mostly to let our friends and family know what we've destroyed so far in the house. We post irregularly and usually forget to take pictures, so thanks for your patience, and please feel free to comment with your thoughts and suggestions!

Friday, February 3, 2012

Hubs goes out of town - I get things done

Usually it's Chris who works diligently every evening to do bits and pieces of bathroom finish work. It's not that I'm a slacker, just that I usually initiate dinner, and he has a tendency to just go off and start working and I don't know what's going on.

Anyway, he was out of town for work this week, and I don't know what came over me but I decided to install a new garage door opener. One came with the house, but was always unplugged and didn't have the arm that connects the opener to the garage. I suppose I should have plugged it in first to see if it worked, but I ended up just going to Home Depot and getting the cheapest model (with really good online reviews). So it was $130ish for the Chamberlain HD200D 1/2 hp garage door opener. It comes with a safety system and one remote.

Surprisingly, installing the garage door was not that difficult for me. It's a one-person job, really (although two would have made it go faster for sure). I removed the old opener by removing the old wiring, undoing the bolts holding it to the ceiling, and lowering it to the ground while still attached above the garage door. Then you just undo the clevis pin there and boom, done! No more old rusty opener from the 80s.

The assembly/installation/calibration portion of the model was 30 pages long, but I just followed the clear and step-by-step instructions and it went pretty smoothly. I got my workout in using the hacksaw to cut the support straps down to size (they're what you bolt into the ceiling studs/roof trusses and hang the motor from). I also got to lift the motor onto a ladder that was well above my head, so that was fun. And I got my leg workout in from going up and down the ladder all around the garage, using socket wrenches on bolts here and stapling the little sensor wires to the ceiling there.

So, I'm lame because I don't have any pictures, because I was keeping it a surprise for Chris when he got back. I knew if I so much as snapped a pic with my cellphone camera I would send it to him in a moment of weakness. However, I can show you the model we used:
Ooooh exciting.

What is exciting is that I can park my car in the garage now. Chris can have his half for all his tools and bike stuff, but I just want my little Civic to be sheltered from the cold in the winter and the merciless Atlanta sun in the summer. I don't want to step in that giant puddle that forms right outside my old parking spot on the driveway, every single time it rains. I can't avoid it! It blocks access to the sidewalk to the front door! I don't want to step on the mulch bed because eventually we'll have plants there, and the daffodil bulbs I planted last fall are already peeking up and I really don't want to crush my beautiful daffodils.

Anyway, yay! Garage door opener! It only took me maybe an hour and a half to assemble Wednesday night and 4 or 5 hours Thursday morning/just after lunch. Not too bad! And now we don't have to keep saying "we'll install the garage door opener once we finish the bathroom/bedroom/[insert procrastination here]".

No comments:

Post a Comment