Disclaimer: we aren't professionals

Thanks for reading our silly little blog! As the disclaimer says, we aren't professionals in either blogging or house stuff, but we try. This is mostly to let our friends and family know what we've destroyed so far in the house. We post irregularly and usually forget to take pictures, so thanks for your patience, and please feel free to comment with your thoughts and suggestions!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Dishwasher

I skipped posting about the dishwasher install several months ago and finally backtracked to post about it.

The older dishwasher seemed to work, but the drain attachment under the dishwasher was cracked. Instead of dealing with replacement parts on a dishwasher that was over 10 years old, I decided to do some shopping. I ended up finding a dishwasher that I liked from Home Depot. It was a black, top-mounted button model by Maytag. I think I paid under $350 for it. Home Depot currently has it for ~$360. The specific model was MDBH969AWB or the Maytag Jet Clean Plus.

I started by plumbing the supply line and drain hose from underneath the sink cabinet. Basically, I drilled two holes near the lower corner of the cabinet to feed the plastic drain line (that Ts off of the garbage disposal) and the 1/4” copper line (Ts off of the hot water supply line).

IMG_1378

Next, I ran the hot water line to get the air out.

IMG_1377

You coil the line like that just to make sure that when you push the dishwasher into place, you don’t kink the supply line. The electrical outlet is a standard socket and is not required to be a GFCI outlet because it is located by a major fixed appliance. This outlet did get its own circuit (shared with the disposal) as recommended by code on separating the disposal and dishwasher on a separate circuit.

Here is a shot of the location of the hot water supply line on the dishwasher. It actually made it quite difficult to fish the supply up to that point once I had the dishwasher in front of its home.

IMG_1374

I also included a couple shots of me wiring the plug. I used 12-2 Romex because this appliance isn’t one that will be moved in and out a lot. For power tools and hand held kitchen appliances, you use a braided cord so the repeated flexing doesn’t cause the metal to fatigue. I bought the receptacle plug at Home Depot. It was a bit more expensive than I was expecting, but I never could find a lower grade plug.

IMG_1376

IMG_1375

I hooked everything up and shoved the dishwasher into place. This was where I found out that it was a super tight fit, causing me to have to adjust the insulating every time I moved it back a few inches. Once I got it all the way back, I screwed in the two retaining clips and called it a day.

IMG_1379

IMG_1380

IMG_1381

IMG_1382

Overall, I found this to be a fairly simple install. I am very pleased with the dishwasher after about 6 months of use. It is a bit loud, but an excellent deal and looks great with a button-less front.

No comments:

Post a Comment