Disclaimer: we aren't professionals

Thanks for reading our silly little blog! As the disclaimer says, we aren't professionals in either blogging or house stuff, but we try. This is mostly to let our friends and family know what we've destroyed so far in the house. We post irregularly and usually forget to take pictures, so thanks for your patience, and please feel free to comment with your thoughts and suggestions!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bathroom Vent

As usual, it has been forever since I last posted. Annie has been much better than I have lately. I am trying to turn a new leaf by moving over to Windows Live Writer for my blogging efforts. This should make the process easier, therefore enticing me to blog more often.
This particular blog is related to the bathroom ventilation. The bathroom did have a vent fan before, but it vented directly to the attic (most people’s do, you have to remember that your builder is trying to make the house price as attractive as possible). Especially after gutting this bathroom and finding mold, I often think about the need to remove moisture. I purchased a 110 CFM Broan model 676. It is a louder unit, but Amazon has it for less than $50 (normally $110) and it was well reviewed. The higher CFM rating addressed the need to remove moisture quickly and the louder unit would produce an effect of added privacy (even though I am insulating every wall of the bathroom for this purpose).
The install was fairly simple. I started by putting a 2x6 in between the trusses. This gave me an adequate nailing surface for the unit.
IMG_1524I made the mistake of facing the exhaust the opposite direction of where my soffit ventilation was to be. I ended up using a pair of 90 degree rigid elbows (I think they were aluminum, maybe they were galvanized).
IMG_1537
You can also see the piece of rigid galvanized that I ran from the elbows to a section of flex. I only did this because I had the left over rigid duct from the kitchen microwave vent sitting in the garage. The system will not likely be submerged in a medium with an electrolyte (or at least I hope it won’t or else I have much bigger problems), so the creation of a galvanic cell is not a concern. Basically, I don’t have to worry about the two different metals reacting.
I transitioned to flex duct so that I could bend it at an awkward angle and feed it through the tight gap between the roof decking and the top stud plate.
IMG_1534
I purchased a cheap (and somewhat flimsy looking) soffit vent. The install was quite simple, requiring only a 4” hole cut into the soffit and some retaining clips to hold the ducting in the opening. You then fasten the plastic vent over the hole. It actually turned out to be very inconspicuous.
IMG_1531IMG_1532IMG_1533

No comments:

Post a Comment