Disclaimer: we aren't professionals

Thanks for reading our silly little blog! As the disclaimer says, we aren't professionals in either blogging or house stuff, but we try. This is mostly to let our friends and family know what we've destroyed so far in the house. We post irregularly and usually forget to take pictures, so thanks for your patience, and please feel free to comment with your thoughts and suggestions!

Friday, February 18, 2011

The pantry is finished!

Actually, it was finished on Sunday, but I'm still trying to catch up with what's been going on.

 
BEFORE

AFTER

There are a couple of things you can't see in each photo. In the before, you can't see that the inside of the door molding is not painted, and you can't get a really good view of the naaasty contact paper on the shelves. You also can't see that the doorknob is shiny brass like the rest of the house.
In the after picture, you can see that all of the trim is now painted glossy white, and that the shelves are held in with screws and drywall anchors instead of crown molding, and that the doorknob is now a beautiful brushed nickel. More on that below. However, you can't see that the thermostat and intake grille have been removed from the wall. We had to remove the grille when I was trying to glue the thin Masonite board to the top of the closet, and the silver insulation stuff broke! We had to open the duct and hammer it back into place. 

Anyway, the pantry/closet is now GORGEOUS, and we have tons of food storage. The pantry cabinet next to the fridge might eventually hold things other than food. Hooray for excess storage! 

Now about the doorknob. When we removed the door from the master bedroom into the master bathroom, I saved the doorknob and said, hey, I can fix this old brass stuff. I bought some metal primer spraypaint and brushed nickel metallic spraypaint, and went to town. I also did the doorknobs for the closets in the two back bedrooms, perfecting my technique. The doorknob for the pantry door got the same treatment when I removed it so I could paint the door itself. 
Here's a close-up of the result:
I set up a nifty system to get all angles, involving rebar stuck into the ground (the same rebar we used to tighten the garage door spring and mark off lines for the drainage trench next to the garage) and short lengths of PVC pipe. I'll get some pics next time I spraypaint, but basically the knobs go on top of the 1.5" PVC, and the bolt gets stuck into a 1" PVC section, and the strike plate gets laid flat on newspaper or a plastic bag. I even sprayed the screws, by sticking them into a styrofoam block. 

By elevating the knobs just a foot off the ground, I can get all around and underneath them with an even coat of paint. I learned that thin coats are best (which every instruction sticker says to do anyway), and that the finish will scratch a little if you rub metal against it. It doesn't expose the shiny brass underneath, but it does make a darker mark. You can see a little bit on the far knob, where the screwdriver rubbed against the knob as I was screwing the handleset back together. 

But even if it's not as durable as buying new nickel knobs, it's a heck of a lot cheaper, and will provide a nice update for this house without being a huge investment. Also, if the finish ends up rubbing off, just spray again! Touch-up is easy. 

So, that is our gorgeous, clean, fresh new pantry, in which I shall store my baking materials (flour and sugar canisters, etc), extra canned goods, and Jezza food. Exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment