Disclaimer: we aren't professionals

Thanks for reading our silly little blog! As the disclaimer says, we aren't professionals in either blogging or house stuff, but we try. This is mostly to let our friends and family know what we've destroyed so far in the house. We post irregularly and usually forget to take pictures, so thanks for your patience, and please feel free to comment with your thoughts and suggestions!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Mailbox

Annie wanted to replace the old mailbox and mailbox post because she felt that it was an eye sore and that it was an easy way to let the neighborhood we were moving in and we intended to take care of the house. The next picture is of the old mailbox - what a mess...

The mailbox had the hollow post that was placed over a pipe that was driven into the ground. I couldn't get the pipe loose so I drove it deeper into the ground with a 5lb sledge hammer. I'll probably end up digging it out some day.

We forgot to snap shots of Annie digging the post hole for the 4x4 mailbox post, but she dug the hole about 18 inches deep and large enough in diameter to allow at least 3 inches on any one side of the post. I mixed a 60 lb bag of Quickrete (actually about 2/3 of the bag) in my new True Temper Ames 6c.f. wheel barrow (I really like this wheel barrow so far; 84.95 from Home Depot). I poured about an eighth of the concrete in without the post to set the post on and then half of what was left around the post. I moved the post in a circular motion to let the concrete settle. I followed up with some dirt that I packed in around the post. Finally I poured the rest of the concrete until it came up about 2 inches above the ground. I sloped the concrete away from the treated post so that water would not accumulate against the post. This helps avoid premature rotting, even with a pressure treated post. The following picture shows the post after all of these steps and leveling. I believe Annie told me the center of the post had to be roughly 22" back from the roadway according to Cobb code.

Next, Annie mounted the plywood mailbox board onto the post and mounted the mailbox to that. You can save some money by making the mailbox post on your own (you'll need a wood chisel, hammer, mitre saw, circular saw, 8' of treated 4x4 and some rust resistant screws), but most of the purchases were probably the cheapest option. Annie also planted some annuals around the base of the mailbox to accent it a bit more. They were in Georgia Tech colors too =)

The entire project from start to finish took less than 2 hours (it may have been closer to 1 hour). Not counting the tool purchases (post hole digger, shovel, cordless drill, wheel barrow), the total cost was right at $50 and required the following items:
  • Mailbox post - $22
  • Concrete - $2.50
  • Mailbox mount - $3.00
  • Mailbox - $13.00
  • Flowers - $10.00

No comments:

Post a Comment